Robotic & Laparoscopic Surgery
KIMS ROBOTIC UROLOGY CENTER - DR.M.GOPICHAND
Centre for Robotic Surgery is an initiative of dr gopichand . It is the first super specialty hospital in telangana dedicated to Urology. We serve our patients for more than 10 years.
We use da Vinci Si® Surgical Instruments for Robotic Surgeries in Urology. There are many advantages of Robotic Surgeries over the conventional surgeries. Such instruments provide high definition 3D Vision and 360 degree angular movement to surgeons which help them in greater accuracy. Because of the robotics the patient observes less pain, less scarring and less blood loss which ultimately results in quicker recovery and lesser post-operative complexities. This type of surgery is now preferred for the complex urological surgeries such as Radical Prostatectomy, Nephrectomy, Cystectomy and Pediatric Surgeries.
HE has more than 10 of experience in the field of Urology. He is an expert specialized in Robotic Surgeries. He is a consultant at KIMS HOSPITAL .DR GOPICHAND is current EXECUTIVE COUNCIL FOR BOTH HUS AND AP & T SOGUS of urology Society and FELLOW of Société Internationale d'Urologie (SIU)
Views & Reviews
Benefits of robotic prostate surgery
About Prostate Cancer
Prostate gland is a central part of the male reproductive system located just beneath the bladder. Prostate cancer is one of the most common and treatable cancer.
Male hormones cause the prostate gland to grow with age. If male hormone levels are low, the prostate gland will not grow to full size. For old men, the part of the prostate around the urethra often persists in growing. This causes BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia), resulting in urination problems.
This disease is rare for men below 50 years. The risk of developing prostate cancer increases later and by the time a man crosses 80, more than 50% of men will have some cancerous growth, which may or may not require medical treatment. However there are certain factors associated, which increases the risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
- Causes of Prostate Cancer
Early prostate cancer usually causes no symptoms and is found by a PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) test and/or DRE (Digital Rectal Exam). Some advanced prostate cancers can slow or weaken your urinary stream or make you need to urinate more often. Non-cancerous diseases of the prostate, such as BPH (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia) often cause these symptoms.
If the prostate cancer is advanced, you might also develop hematuria (blood in your urine) or impotence (difficulty having an erection). Pain in your pelvic bone, spine, hips or ribs is also possible, as advanced prostate cancer commonly spreads to the bones. Other diseases, however, can also cause these same symptoms.
When symptoms do occur, they may include:
- Frequent urination, especially at night
- Inability to urinate
- Trouble starting or holding back urination
- A weak or interrupted flow of urine
- Painful or burning urination
- Blood in the urine or semen
- Painful ejaculation
- Frequent pain in the lower back, hips or upper thighs
How Is a Robotic Prostatectomy Performed?
The procedure is begun by inflating the abdomen with carbon dioxide gas in order to provide the surgeon with "working room". Next, six small incisions, 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length, are made in the abdomen and plastic or metal ports are installed to keep the incisions open. Seated at the da Vinci System console nearby and using both the laparoscopic surgical instruments and a pencil-sized video camera, the surgeon directs the da Vinci's robotic arms to dissect the prostate gland and adjacent tissue. The video camera's 12X magnification and 3D view enable the surgeon to identify the many delicate nerves, tiny blood vessels, and other structures surrounding the prostate gland. Once the procedure is completed and the prostate is removed, the patient awakens, is ambulating later that day and typically is discharged within 24 hours.
What Advantages Does Robotic Prostatectomy Offer?
Robotic prostatectomy, which has been shown to be as effective as conventional procedures in treating localized prostate cancer, offers these advantages:
For qualified candidates, the robotic prostatectomy offers numerous potential benefits over the traditional open prostatectomy, including:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less post-operative pain and pain medication
- Less anesthesia
- Less blood loss and transfusions
- No blood donation necessary from patient
- Less scarring
- Fewer postoperative complications than open surgery including fewer post operative infections
- Faster and more complete recovery of our patients, 97% go home the morning after surgery. By comparison, time in the hospital for patients treated with open radical prostatectomy is two to four days
- Quicker return to normal daily activites
- Most patients return to work two to three weeks after the procedure and resume exercising or golf in 3-4 weeks, recovery time for patients treated with radical open prostatectomy is six to eight weeks.
- The catheter that drains the bladder is removed after seven days in robotic surgeries. In open radical prostatectomies, the catheter is removed after two to three weeks
- Covered by almost all insurance
- Costs the same as traditional open surgery
The da Vinci© Surgical System used at USMD Hospital for robotic prostatectomy extends the surgeon's capabilities to provide these significant benefits:
- 3-D Visualization: Provides the surgeon with a true 3-dimensional view of the operating field. This direct and natural hand-eye instrument alignment is similar to open surgery with "all-around" vision and the ability to zoom-in and zoom-out.
- Dexterity: Provides the surgeon with instinctive operative controls that make complex minimally invasive surgery procedures feel more like open surgery than laparoscopic surgery.
- Surgical Precision: Permits the surgeon to move instruments with such accuracy that the current definition of surgical precision is exceeded.
- Access: Surgeon perform complex surgical maneuvers through 9-mm ports, eliminating the need for large traumatic incisions.
- Range of Motion: EndoWrist© Instruments restore full range of motion and ability to rotate instruments more than 360 degrees through tiny incisions.
- Reproducibility: Enchances the surgeon's ability to repetitively perform technically precise maneuvers such as endoscopic suturing and dissetion.
benefits of Robotic Kidney Surgery
At kidney urology andrology clinics and kims hospital we use state-of-the-art technology to provide our patient ultra-modern treatment. We offer several potential benefits to patients facing kidney surgery, including:
- Excellent clinical outcomes and cancer control
- Short hospital stay
- Low blood loss
- Precise tumor removal and kidney reconstruction
- Excellent chance of preserving the kidney, in certain operations
- Low rate of operative complications
At this center , kidney cancer surgery is performed using the da Vinci Surgical System, a state-of-the-art surgical platform. By overcoming the limits of both traditional open and laparoscopic surgery, at this center we are trying change the experience of surgery for people around the world.
Benefits of Robotic Bladder Surgery
A robot surgical system provides high definition view to surgeon, urologist or an oncologist, and provides better view for surgery, distinguishes the vital muscles and delicate nerve tissues surrounding the operative area, providing the opportunity to preserve them. With conventional laparoscopic instruments 360 degree movement is not possible, with advance robot surgical system patient gets benefits such as:
- Marginal harm to vital muscle and gentle nerve tissue as a result of the surgery.
- A shorter hospital stay
- Faster return to normal life
- Fewer visible scars.
- Reduced risk of blood loss.
- Rare chances of post-operative infections.
- Minimized chances of post-operative incontinence or impotence.
- Minimized chances of other complications commonly associated with cystectomy.
- Minimal post-operative pain and discomfort.
- The unprecedented technology of the da Vinci Surgical System which offers surgeons, oncologists and urologists a high-definition, three-dimensional view of the procedure, as well as the assistance of the robot in suturing.
Benefits of Robotic Pediatric Surgery
At our centre we have done pediatric robotic procedures in children as young as 2 years of age.
The aim of any minimally invasive surgery is to offer comparable outcomes to open surgery with added benefit of cosmesis. Robotic assisted laparoscopic surgery offers this benefit, even in pediatric population.
The well-known advantages of robotic surgery are motion scaling, absence of physiological tremors, 3D and high definition vision.
Robotic pediatric surgery befits the dictum “What one sees better, it is done better”. This holds true particularly in pediatric population wherein majority of surgeries require precise and accurate suturing.
The varieties of pediatric robotic procedures that have taken place include pyeloplasties, ureteric re-implantation, and augmentation cystoplasties. All these require accurate suturing. Robot helps exactly in this aspect.